CARMEL, IN, January 11, 2021 – Indiana begins the recognition of the state’s aviation heroes, pioneers, entrepreneurs, and innovators.
The Indiana Aviation Hall of Fame, Inc. is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit corporation formed in 2017 to recognize, honor, and perpetuate the memory of those special individuals who have made an enduring contribution to aviation and aerospace in Indiana through achievement, leadership, exceptional service, innovation, and entrepreneurial spirit.
Inductees to the Hall are enshrined with memorial plaques and medallions struck in their honor.
The Indiana Aviation Hall of Fame is accepting applications of worthy individuals for the Class of 2021 on its website, https://inahof.org.
In advance of naming the honored Class of 2021, the Board of Directors enshrined eleven Legacy Class Members whose achievements in aviation and space flight are recognized by the National Aviation Hall of Fame in Dayton, Ohio. The Legacy Class Members of the Indiana Aviation Hall of Fame are:
- Wilbur Wright, pioneer of flight, visionary, and inventor.
- Virgil “Gus” Grissom, Mercury, Gemini and Apollo astronaut, test pilot
- James Allison, aviation engine manufacturer and industrialist
- Harvey Weir Cook, World War I ace, World War II veteran, and aviation pioneer
- Frank Borman, U.S. Air Force veteran, Gemini and Apollo astronaut, and airline executive
- Lawrence Bell, helicopter development pioneer, industrialist, and manufacturer
- Edwin Link, developer and pioneer in flight training devices and simulators
- Abe Silverstein, visionary NASA engineer and space program director
- Roscoe Turner, aviation pioneer and showman, Thompson Trophy winner, businessman
- William “Pete” Knight, US Air Force veteran, test pilot, world speed record holder
- Collett “C.E.” Woolman, founder and chairman of Delta Airlines
Complete biographies and information on the Legacy Class Members can be found at https://inahof.org/members/legacy-class/.
The Indiana Aviation Hall of Fame will honor the Class of 2021 inductees at the Honors Banquet to be held October 1, 2021 in Carmel, Indiana. Information on the Indiana Aviation Hall of Fame, the Honors Banquet, and to nominate a future Hall of Fame honoree can be found at https://inahof.org.